Who We Are
Objectives and Activities
The objectives of the GO PTO are to:
- Promote the welfare of students by providing both financial and volunteer support for the schools and their activities.
- Encourage a partnership between home and the schools where parents and teachers cooperate meaningfully in the development of the students.
- Develop cooperation and support between educators and the general public to secure the highest advantages in physical, cognitive, social and emotional education for every student.
What does GO PTO do? Here are some of our activities:
- Meet with the principal to discuss issues of concern at Gibbs and Ottoson Schools. Contact us at dearGO.PTO@gmail.com to present your comments, concerns, and questions.
- Host parent breakfasts with the Principals and guest speakers to discuss topics relating to your child’s school experience.
- Fund up to $250 to each teacher for classroom related materials. This funding is possible because of your annual donations.
- Organize and fund a mini-grant program to meet student needs identified by faculty and staff.
- Support funding of enrichment activities such as student participation at the Science Fair competition in Lowell, the Art Department's 'Inside Out' project, and a National History Day trip to DC.
- Organize and fund Teacher Appreciation events in the fall and spring.
Click here for a list of volunteer opportunities and the GO PTO meeting schedule.
Current PTO Officers for 2019-2020
The GO PTO board members are parents of Gibbs and Ottoson students, just like you. We meet regularly with the school’s principals to discuss areas of concern at the schools. There is no cost to join. If you have the interest and time, please consider becoming involved as an officer or active member of GO PTO.
You don't have to commit to a leadership role, we also have subcommittees that allow parents/caregivers to work on specific causes.
- President - Christine Thielman
- Gibbs Principal - Kristin DeFrancisco
- Ottoson Principal - Brian Meringer
- Treasurers - Steve Berczuk and Tracy Swyst
- Recording Secretary - Farah Shafi
- Website - Shawn Szturma
- Communications - Ashley Lorenz
- Fundraising Coordinators - Carla Rice and Melina Salerno
- Special Events Coordinator - Marissa Martin Sobczynski
- Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Rajeev Soneja
- Weekly Update Team - Ashley Lorenz, Erin Daly, Bari Walsh, Philana Hui, Steve Berczuk (tech)
- Members-at-Large - <Your name here!> These are members of the governing board who do not hold a named officer position, but attend most meetings and assist with special projects as needed. It's another great way to be involved, help with the work, and help make decisions. Come to our next meeting or email dearGO.PTO@gmail.com
To contact any of us, please email dearGO.PTO@gmail.com
Any written communication can be sent to:
Ottoson Middle SchoolAttn: GO PTO63 Acton StreetArlington, MA 02476